Rhinoplasty, popularly known as nose job, is one of the most popular plastic surgery in modern times. People chose to have this procedure due to various reasons, from improving their aesthetic appearance to correct breathing problems (with septoplasty). The surgery can be open rhinoplasty or closed rhinoplasty, depending on patient’s needs and preferences.
It is a safe procedure, but like any other surgery, it carries certain risks of complications. Therefore, before opting for a nose job, it is best to have a detailed discussion with your plastic surgeon to not only convey your expectations from the procedure, but also understand the limitations of the surgery.
What can I expect during the consultation?
During a rhinoplasty consultation, your plastic surgeon will:
- Assess the overall health status and any prior health conditions or risk factors for the patient
- The nose reshaping options available for the patient
- Measure the face and take photographs to plan to procedure
- Discuss the results that can be achieved from nose job
- Recommend a suitable treatment plan
- Discuss the risks or potential complications. Although, serious complications are not often registered, there can be some side effects post-operatively, but they can be managed with appropriate therapy.
The consultation is the time when you can ask all your queries about rhinoplasty with the specialist. It is best to discuss:
- Your expectations from the surgery, in regard to appearance as well as breathing
- Any pre-existing medical condition, allergies to drug or anesthesia, and previous medical procedures
- The medications, herbal supplements, vitamins, you are taking
- Also inform the doctor about your alcohol, tobacco and drug use
Should I opt for an open rhinoplasty or a closed rhinoplasty?
It is mostly determined by the surgeon, but it is good to discuss the type of surgery you would have. The closed rhinoplasty surgery is performed with no external incisions, i.e. it is done through the nose. This not only limits the extent of damage to the tip, but also show less scarring, and can be an option for most patients.
The open nose surgery involves making an incision underneath the nose in order to elevate all the skin. Then the surgeon dissects through the nasal structures and make required changes in the nose tip and body.
The cost of surgery may also be changed on the basis of the type of procedure performed. If you opt to have plastic surgery in top medical travel destinations such as India, Turkey, Thailand, you can save a significant amount of money without compromising on the quality. The nose surgery cost in India is remarkably lower than several other countries, including the USA, UK, Germany and many more. Consult the best plastic surgeon in the country and get cost estimates before you plan your travel.
How long does the surgery take?
A primary rhinoplasty lasts for maximum three to four hours, or usually one to two hours on an average.
Wil I be a good candidate for a nose job?
A good candidate for rhinoplasty fulfils the following criteria:
- Complete facial growth
- Good physical health
- Non-smoking (or able to quit for a few days before and after the surgery)
- Have a realistic expectation or outlook towards the improvement of the appearance
What can I do to prepare for the surgery?
For preparing before the rhinoplasty surgery, the plastic surgeon may recommend:
- Getting a lab test
- Stop taking certain medications or adjust your current dosage
- Quit smoking
- Avoid taking medication such as aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they might increase the risk of bleeding.
Rhinoplasty will be performed in an accredited clinic or surgical facility, under a licensed medical center or a hospital. Keep in mind to arrange for someone who can drive you to and from surgery as well as stay with you for at least the first night post-surgery.
How is recovery after a nose job, and what can I do to have a healthy recovery?
The recovery after any surgery is an important time. After a rhinoplasty, a splint and/or packing might be placed inside the nose. The doctor may place a splint or bandages on the outside of the nose to support and protect the nasal structures during healing.
Initial swelling will subside in a few weeks, but the new nasal contour take up to a year to fully refine. There will be gradual changes in the appearance of the nose during this time, as it gets refined to set into a more permanent outcome.
- The surgeon will also provide some specific instructions about:
- The care for the surgical site
- Medications or ointments that should be applied or taken to aid in healing and reduce chances of infection
- Specific concerns regarding your general health
- Schedule the follow-up appointment
What are the risks involves in this procedure?
The potential risks associated with Rhinoplasty surgery are:
- Anaesthesia reaction
- Infection or delayed wound healing
- Altered skin sensation such as numbness or pain
- Perforation of Nasal septum, i.e. a hole in the nasal septum – but it is rare.
- Difficulty in breathing
- Unsatisfactory outcome
- Swelling or skin discoloration
- Possible need of revision surgery